Thursday, March 6, 2014

Small Taxus. Huge inspiration

A year or two after starting bonsai, I was introduced to Kevin Willson and spent time at his School on workshops and on rainy days when I couldn't work. Kev has some pretty amazing Bonsai and material material but the first tree to really grab me and what I mean by that is shivers down the spine was a fairly diminutive little Taxus. Every visit this tree was the first I would look at. The way the deadwood seemed to spew from the trunk was awe inspiring.
Unfortunately the Yew was sold abroad and from what I have seen has never looked as good as it did when Kev had it in his garden. I trawled the internet to find pictures of the "Little Dragon but to no avail. Fortunately Kevs assistant and long time friend, Richard Chambers came to the rescue with an older Ginkgo Awards book so I could get it on canvas.

                                                              Deadwood and live vein
Stone and Moss

Pot and stand

Finished attempt


2 comments:

  1. WOW! Just amazing Will. Sooner or later I may want you to paint one of these for me. ;)

    Regards,
    Nik Rozman

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Nik. Send me the pics when you're ready

    ReplyDelete