Friday, April 22, 2011

Prunus spinosa


I swapped this Blackthorn for a rather large Wych Elm in 2005. The Blackthorn was raw material but in those days I didn't take photos. The now cascading branch was then horizontal and was slowly cranked down over 3 years
The back of the tree. The pot I made myself and works well with the truffle like bark.
Late Autumn 2009 as the last leaves are about to fall. Although I love this pot, I think it's a little small for development
The Sloe as it was seen at Joy of Bonsai in Bath 2010. Now in the register of important British bonsai.
The tree shown at Capel Manor show in 2009


                                               Accent of Polypody, Lichens and Moss


                                                                     The full display

Lovely Pinky red colour. Autumn 2011
Spring 2012.
The rest of the flowers came out in the glorious Spring sunshine today. The back.
And the front again.
Summer 2012
Lots of berries that will stay on the tree well into Winter. If the birds don't get them first.
Never seen so many berries.....
The berries were reduced by half to save energy for leaves and branches.
Autumn 2012
.....And finally Autumn comes
I took this 2 days before the Blackbirds stripped it of Berries.
Good feed seemed to work well for this tree over the last 2 years and I wonder if it will flower like this year again?
Morning Dew....
The wire was removed today for a show the tree will be exhibited in at the weekend. The bark was cleaned and oiled to bring out the dark colour of the bark. The soil surface was mossed. Just hoping the Peter Krebs pot I've ordered arrives on time.
Present front.
Another possible front. Right side
Back.
Left side.
Close up of this old and weathered branch.
The quality of the bark after oiling.
The shine of the oil will dull in a couple of days

The new Peter Krebs pot turned up in the post today and just in time for the Swindon Winter image show. I have admired Peters work for a long time now and I'm chuffed to buts that the Prunus suits this pot



Should look good in display
Unfortunately this little tree died in the late Spring/ Summer of 2013. I think it was the long severe Winter we had early that year. As homage to the tree, I painted it in January of 2014
Canvas 3 ft x 3 ft (1m x 1m approx) Acrylic








3 comments: